Lesson 6 in our new Tom Rocks Maths Appeal YouTube series is OUT NOW!
Team Maths Appeal (me and Bobby Seagull) have joined forces with the University of Oxford mathematician, Dr Tom Crawford (aka Tom Rocks Maths) to explore and teach topics from the GCSE Maths syllabus. We aim to show the world that maths is accessible to everyone!
In this episode you will learn how to use probability tree diagrams to calculate the probability of an event happening. Bobby introduces the topic, I share an interactive tool on GeoGebra – go to https://www.geogebra.org/m/EEwVfExN to join in at home – and Tom applies what we’ve learned to a fictional FA Cup quarter final draw. Direct links to each part below.
Bobby (Introduction) 0:00
Susan (GeoGebra) 6:10
Tom (Application) 10:19
Follow Up Resources
Here are suggestions of maths resources to consolidate your learning once you have watched our video. (You can also find the web links to these resources in the YouTube video description).
Video 6 – Probability Trees
– Mixed Probability Tree Diagrams resources (Worksheets & videos) – Corbett Maths: https://corbettmaths.com/?s=tree+diagram
– GCSE exam questions (Probability) – KeshMaths:
– GCSE exam questions (Probability Tree Diagrams) – KeshMaths:
Here is the KeshMaths list of all topics with videos of worked examples and GCSE exam questions and solutions:https://keshmaths.com/gcse-maths-takeaway-3/
Note: There are many GCSE Maths resources out there but I have selected these because I often use them when I teach this subject to my students.
Online Question & Answer Sessions
To accompany the launch of this Tom Rocks Maths Appeal YouTube series we will be holding Q & A sessions on the maths topics covered in the videos.
For the video lesson on Probability Tree Diagrams:
- Bobby and I will answer questions from you on Thursday 28th May 2020 in a recorded video, which will be posted on Instagram and Facebook on Friday 29th May 2020 at 1pm.
- Tom will answer questions from you on Friday 29th May 2020 in a live-streaming YouTube session at 4pm